JOB TITLE: Educational Assistant
REPORTS TO: Team Leader/Supervisor /Manager
HOURLY RANGE: $22.08- $ 23.99/hour
HOURS: 37.5 hours week working 8AM-4PM, Monday-Friday
JOB ID: 20-086BSCS
“Despite great challenges we believe unhealthy cycles can be broken, new opportunities created and, through healing, health restored.”
Would you like to be a part of an organization that works with some of Edmonton’s most vulnerable populations and counts on the professionalism, expertise, insight, and passion of its staff to develop programs and services for the clients they work with? Join us at Boyle Street Community Services.
“We stand with our clients, side by side, patiently and for as long as they want – a constant and consistent caring force”
Boyle Street Community Services (BSCS) is a values-driven organization that believes our clients are the experts in their own life. Your job will be to foster innovation with your team alongside our clients. If your values are aligned with our values and beliefs listed at: http://boylestreet.org/who-we-are/mission-and-history/, please consider joining our team.
This is a temporary position working until June 2021.
Our Group Living program is in need of an Educational Assistant who is able to incorporate/teach school curriculums & support individualized needs of children ages of 5-12 and/or youth ages 13-18 who require educational support. For children under the age of 5 preschool programming may also be required.
The successful candidate will have the required skills to promote educational, social, and emotional development. The Educational Assistant must be attentive to the unique needs of each child/youth and be able to identify proper solutions when students encounter barriers.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES
· Maintain a supportive comfortable learning environment while complying with agency policies and procedures.
· Follow all Agency’s policies, and procedures, code of conduct, shift expectations, and job descriptions
· Support the emotional, physical, and social development of children/youth
· Be the primary liaison between school(s) and Group Living Program
· Prepare daily lessons based on the provided school curriculums
· Supervise & Support children/youth to ensure they engage in learning during daily lesson plans
· Guide and monitor child/youth’s progress or identify any barriers to learning- communicate this information to Group Living Program Management staff and to school(s)
· Plan recreational/educational activities and complete an agency provided plan for approval as per GLP policies and procedures
· Be familiar with Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) strategies being used at Group living program
· Ensure required documentation is completed as per legislation requirements
· Attend meetings or training programs as directed by Management
· Communicate with Management concerning issues with children/youth
· Maintain Covid-19 sanitization protocols for the learning space
Education: Diploma or Degree in a related field and/or
Relevant and related experience as an Educational Assistant will also be considered
Skills, Abilities and Attitudes
· Ability to work in a highly stressful and ever changing environment
· Must have excellent boundaries
· Mental resiliency is key
· Willing and able to work in a group home environments(s) where children/youth may be home due to Covid-19 or other educational/behavioral need. Appropriate PPE is provided.
· Managing Group Dynamics
· Awareness of cultural diversity
· Demonstrated conflict management skills
· Willingness to take training as required
Experience and other requirements
· Minimum 1-year direct related experience
· Experience working in a team environment
· Demonstrated ability to make sound decisions
· Proven ability to multitask
· Strong de-escalation skills
· Knowledge of the Office of the Child and Youth Advocate and their role
· Experience in completing reports – both handwritten and electronic versions required
· Proven ability to meet deadlines in a fast paced, ever changing, and demanding work environment
· Criminal Record and Child Intervention Checks within the last 6 months (results will be reviewed on a case by case basis)
Location of work: Based in Northeast and Northwest Edmonton.
Closing Date: November 27,2020
Please email your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include 20-086BSCS Educational Assistant in the Subject Line on the email. In the cover letter please state how you heard about this position.
Boyle Street Community Services is an equal opportunity employer. We value the diversity of the communities we serve and are committed to engaging and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. Boyle Street Community Services welcomes applications from First Nation, Inuit, Métis, New Canadian, differently abled, and LGBTQ2S communities.
Clients, staff and partners are vital members of the Boyle Street team, so we place emphasis on making sure that we address each other correctly. Pronouns are an important part of how we speak about people.
Pronouns might be:
And other pronouns that help individuals to express themselves
At Boyle Street, we use pronouns to properly address and refer to people in our face-to-face interactions, in verbal introductions, as well as in writing on name tags, email signatures, and ID badges. We invite you to let us know how to properly refer to you and your pronouns as you explore finding a professional home with us.