JOB TITLE: Licensed Practical Nurse/Primary Care Paramedic - Supervised Consumption Services (SCS)
REPORTS TO: SCS Director
HOURLY RANGE: $23.36-$27.48/hour
HOURS: Casual including 5, 8, or 12 hour shifts
JOB ID: 20-061BSCS
“Despite great challenges we believe unhealthy cycles can be broken, new opportunities created and, through healing, health restored.”
Would you like to be a part of an organization that works with some of Edmonton’s most vulnerable populations and counts on the professionalism, expertise, insight, and passion of its staff to develop programs and services for the clients they work with? Join us at Boyle Street Community Services.
“We stand with our clients, side by side, patiently and for as long as they want – a constant and consistent caring force”
Boyle Street Community Services (BSCS) is a values-driven organization that believes our clients are the experts in their own life. Your job will be to foster innovation with your team alongside our clients. If your values are aligned with our values and beliefs listed at: https://www.boylestreet.org/who-we-are please consider joining our team.
Please note this is a temporary position.
Works collaboratively with individuals, health care professionals and community services in the identification and resolution of health issues and integration of care, making referrals to other service providers as appropriate for people who use drugs.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Initiates and directs a team overdose/ medical emergency response for all SCS staff, as per established protocols.
· Works collaboratively with individuals, health care professionals and community services in the identification and resolution of health issues and integration of care, making referrals to other service providers as appropriate.
· Completes pre-consumption, post-consumption assessments and monitors individuals’ health for the duration of the SCS visit.
· Provides basic abscess and wound care related to injection drug use, blood-borne pathogens and sexually transmitted infections (BBPSTI), pregnancy testing and immunizations, and discusses and addresses other emerging medical issues as required.
· Maintains a quiet, relaxed, safe space within the SCS and orients individuals to the SCS
· Using a harm reduction approach, provides education and counselling on mental health, safer injection techniques and substance use, sexual health and other high-risk behaviors.
· Provides overdose prevention education, encourages individuals within the SCS to partake in Take Home Naloxone (THN) training; completes THN training and distributes kits as required.
· Works collaboratively with other staff members to ensure the flow of services throughout the SCS by assisting with the intake process and monitoring space duties as needed.
· Maintains a clean, safe, operational environment by following infection prevention control measures in accordance with related policies and procedures, replacing biohazard containers, assisting with garbage removal and replenishing harm reduction supplies as needed.
· Respectfully reminds individuals of the SCS code of conduct and assists in de-escalation management as required, according to established protocols.
· Documents in accordance with established procedures and policies, and prepares/maintains statistical data, correspondence reports and other documentation as required.
· Maintains standards of practice and develops professional competence through training and educational opportunities, as required by the employer and regulatory body.
· Provides an ongoing commitment to and advocacy for individuals within the SCS and continuously strives for the most effective and appropriate delivery of care.
· Assist full-time and part-time staff around case management planning.
· Performs other related duties, as required.
Education: Completion of an accredited Healthcare Provider (LPN, PCP) and registered with the corresponding regulatory body. Will consider EMR candidate with the combination of training and experience.
Skills, Abilities and Attitudes:
· Ability to work in a highly stressful and ever changing environment
· Must have excellent boundaries
· Mental resiliency is key
· Willingness to provide a respectful, supportive and a non-judgmental environment for individuals experiencing problematic substance use
· Ability to work as a member of a team, to take initiative to support your colleagues and the service, and the ability to request and accept direction as required
· Demonstrates critical thinking skills, within scope of practice, including clinical judgment, problem solving skills, and strong decision-making ability
· Using a harm reduction approach, provides education and counselling on safer injection techniques and substance use, sexual health and other high-risk behaviors
Experience and Other Requirements:
· Current Basic Cardiac Life Support - Health Care Provider (BCLS-HCP)
· Criminal Record and Child Intervention Checks (results will be reviewed on a case by case basis)
Closing Date: Until Suitable Candidate is Found
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include 20-061BSCS, LPN/PCP in the Subject Line of the email. In the cover letter please state how you heard about this position. We request a cover letter and resume that details previous work and/or personal experience in relation to the work environment
Boyle Street Community Services is an equal opportunity employer. We value the diversity of the communities we serve, and are committed to engaging and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. Boyle Street Community Services welcomes applications from First Nation, Inuit, Métis, New Canadian, differently-abled, and LGBTQ2S communities.